THE 4th ANNUAL RON McCALLUM DEBATE
Tuesday 25 November 2014, 4pm – 6pm
Four Seasons Hotel, 199 George Street, Sydney
Entry is free but RSVPs appreciated. Please RSVP to: 03 9647 9102 or email@example.com
How do workplace relations shape our society?
Chaired by the Honourable Geoff Giudice AO, our 2014 Debate Panel includes:
- Emeritus Professor Ron McCallum AO
- Stephen Smith, Director National Industrial Relations, Australian Industry Group
- Louise Tarrant, former National Secretary, United Voice
- Professor Barbara Pocock, former Director of the Centre for Work + Life
- Colleen Chen, Interns Australia
The 2014 Ron McCallum debate will focus on the role employment and workplace relations systems play in determining the nature of our society; how we live and work. Read the Debate Discussion Paper.
With the Government’s IR Productivity Commission Inquiry still on the agenda and the ACTU announcing their casual conversion claim in response to insecure work, we look to explore the interaction between the social impacts of workplaces and their economic imperatives.
Our debaters will examine such questions as:
- What is the relationship between social and economic outcomes in assessing our workplace laws and policies?
- How do we consider concepts such as dignity of work and decent work in our contemporary society?
- What role does our workplaces relations system play in addressing rising inequality?
Join us for challenging and engaging discussion that will consider the world of work today.